An official website of the United States government

Acceptable Supporting Documents


All documents submitted in support of an application must be originals (unless otherwise advised) and will be returned to the applicant. We are unable to accept photocopies or copies certified by Notary Public. Official written translations are required for documents issued in languages other than English.

In Cyprus, records of births and deaths are maintained by the District Office in each city. Marriage records are maintained by the Marriage Office at the Civil Registry and Migration Department, while details of U.S. birth, death or marriage records are maintained by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS).



Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
  • U. S. birth certificate
  • U.S. passport
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240)
  • Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship


Evidence of Identity

Government issued identity documents must contain current name, signature, and a photograph.

  • U.S. or foreign passport (not mutilated, damaged, or altered)
  • Driver’s license (digital licenses are unacceptable – the license card must be presented)
  • Government issued ID card
  • Military ID card

Applicants over the age of 16 who do not have current photographic identity can have a parent identify their child by co-signing their application. The parent will need to present current photographic identity along with the child’s birth certificate naming them as a parent.

Progressive photographs may be required if the image/signature have changed since the document was issued.


Evidence of Name Change

Name change documentation must contain both the original name and the name being changed to. Current evidence of identity bearing the applicant’s new name should also be presented (where available).

  • Marriage certificate
  • Court order
  • Divorce decree
  • Change of Name Certificate
  • Adoption decree


Evidence of Marriage
  • Registered marriage certificate. The U.S. Consulate General does not accept marriage certificates issued by the celebrant.


Evidence of Termination of Marriage
  • Divorce decree
  • Death certificate


Parental Consent Documentation

U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child. The minor child as the applicant must be present. To meet these regulations, the following documents are required:

  • Evidence of the child’s birth, listing the parents of the child
    • Full birth certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (DS-1350)
    • Adoption decree
    • Court order establishing guardianship
  • The parents’ current photographic identification

If only one parent submits the application for a minor child, one of the following documents are required to either express the consent of the absent parent or provide justification for the issuance of the passport without their consent:

  • completed and notarized Form DS-3053 ;
  • court adjudicated custody order;
  • judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or,
  • death certificate of non-applying parent.


Copies of documents are required.
  • Make clear copies of each supporting document to leave as part of an application. Copies should not be certified/notarized. Applicants who do not provide photocopies will be charged US $1.00 per photocopy.
  • If applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) please provide an additional copy of each of the following:
    • Applicant’s birth certificate
    • Applicant’s photo identification
    • Photo identification of the applicant’s parent(s) (if applicable)