An official website of the United States government

Form DS-11: Change of Sex Marker


The first time you apply to change the sex marker in your U.S. passport, you must use Form DS-11.


Please print out only one-sided pages of the application and submit the following in person at the U.S. Embassy.

  1. Application form
    Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport;
  2. Citizenship
    Evidence of U.S. citizenship (ie: previous U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate)
  3. Photo
    One (1) U.S. sized passport photo
  4. Changing Name
    If applicable, original documentation to support name (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
  5. Fee
    Applicable fee
  6. Envelope
    One self-addressed envelope A4 size with postage stamps of €2.52 for the return of your old and new passports.



The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer at the U.S Embassy – this requirement cannot be waived. Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.



Copies of documents are required.
  • Make clear copies of each supporting document to leave as part of an application. Copies should not be certified/notarized. Applicants who do not provide photocopies will be charged US $1.00 per photocopy.