An official website of the United States government

CRBA Applications


Children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy to obtain an official record of the child’s U.S. citizenship. Applications submitted later may take significant time to resolve. It is not possible to obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for a child over the age of 18.

Even if your child holds nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, he or she must use a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States. U.S. citizenship must be determined before the child can obtain a U.S. passport. It is highly recommended that parents apply for their child’s first U.S. Passport at the same time as applying for their CRBA.

To verify whether your child qualifies for U.S. citizenship, please see our Eligibility Requirements.


The following documentation is required for a CRBA application if the transmission requirements have been met.
  • Applicant
    The applicant (child) and parents must be present at the U.S. Consulate.
  • Application form
    Completed (but not signed) Form DS-2029 Application for a CRBA  (PDF 105 KB) — Please fill out the information as thoroughly and accurately as you can. Incomplete or incorrect applications will delay processing and may require that you make a new appointment to submit the complete application.  For an example of a completed application, please click on this Sample (PDF 137 KB).
  • Affidavit
    Form DS-5507. This form must be completed by the U.S. citizen father if the child was born out of wedlock and the mother is not a U.S. citizen.  It is not required if both parents are U.S. citizens or if the parents were married before the birth of the child.  The affidavit requires the U.S. citizen father to acknowledge that the child is his, and to state, as specifically as possible, the parent’s periods of physical presence in the United States.  Extra sheets may be attached as necessary.  At the time of application, the document must be notarized or signed in front of the consular officer.
  • Birth Certificate
    Child’s full birth certificate. If your child was born in another country, please provide the original birth certificate in English or an official certified translation along with the original certificate. We will not accept decorative copies of the birth certificate.
  • Marriage Certificate
    Parents’ registered marriage certificate (if applicable) in English or an official certified translation along with the original and one photocopy.
  • For parents who were previously married
    Evidence of termination of any previous marriages—the divorce decree or death certificate in English or an official certified translation along with the original and one photocopy (if applicable).
  • Parent(s) U.S. citizenship
    U.S. citizen parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate) and three photocopies of the biographical data page.
  • Proof of parents’ identity for a non-U.S. citizen parent
    A non-U.S. citizen parent must bring their passport or other government issued photo-ID plus three photocopies.
  • Physical Presence Requirement
    The U.S. citizen parent needs to bring proof of physical presence in the United States for a period of time required by law. To check the physical presence requirements for transmission, please review the Citizenship transmission requirements. Primary evidence documents that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. before the child’s birth include transcripts from high school and/or college, wage statements, military separation statement (DD214). Other additional evidence may also include credit card bills, utility bills, tax forms, airline ticket stubs, passports with entry/exit stamps.
  • Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART)
    If any method of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) was used to facilitate the child’s conception, appropriate medical records or medical documentation to establish the biological/genetic relationship between the child and at least one parent.
  • Additional evidence
    The consular officer, at his/her discretion, may request additional documents or other evidence as necessary. If such evidence is required in your case, you will be advised at the time of application.
  • Envelope
    One self-addressed envelope A4 size with postage stamps of 2.52 for the return of the CRBA.
  • Fee
    You will need to pay the necessary fees during the appointment. We accept credit cards, debit cards, or cash (in either Euros or U.S. dollars). We cannot accept contactless payments of any kind.




Applicants who do not provide photocopies of their documents will be charged U.S. $1.00 per photocopy.


Once you have completed all appropriate application forms and gathered all required supporting documentation, the application will need to be signed in the presence of a U.S. Consular Officer. To submit the application in person at a U.S. Consulate, you will need to schedule an appointment. Parents are encouraged to apply for their child’s first U.S. Passport at the same time as applying for their CRBA.