Location: U.S. Embassy Nicosia, Cyprus
Time: Saturday morning, August 28.
U.S. citizens are advised that a demonstration is scheduled to take place on Saturday, August 28. Demonstrators will gather in the area of Solomou Square at 08:30 and march to the U.S. Embassy and the United Nations offices. The demonstration is expected to last until noon and be peaceful. A strong police presence is also expected. All citizens should avoid the area around the U.S. Embassy during the morning of August 28.
All citizens should exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can become confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the situation and will send an update if new information arises.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Nicosia, Cyprus web page
+357 2239-3939 (after hours; wait for recorded message, then press 0)
- State Department – Consular Affairs Cyprus Country Information
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444.
- Enroll in STEP to receive alerts (or unsubscribe): https://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter