November 13, 2020
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Events: Demonstrations are expected on Monday, November 16 at the Ledra Street checkpoint, Ledra Palace, and Agios Kassianos parish. Events are scheduled to begin at 10:30 am and end at 1:00 pm. Cyprus National Police officers will be present.
A demonstration is expected on Tuesday, November 17. Demonstrators are expected to gather at the PASYDY building and march toward the U.S. Embassy. Demonstrators are expected to arrive at the Embassy at approximately 11:00 am. The demonstration is expected to be peaceful, and last no longer than an hour. Cyprus National Police officers will be present.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the areas during the times and dates listed above. All citizens should exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can become confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the situation and will send an update if new information arises.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Nicosia, Cyprus web page
+357 2239-3939 (after hours; wait for recorded message, then press 0)
- State Department – Consular Affairs Cyprus Country Information
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444.
- Enroll in STEP to receive alerts: https://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter