Location: Dherynia (aka Deryneia) Crossing Point, Famagusta, Cyprus
Event: A demonstration is expected Saturday, October 17, at the Dherynia Crossing Point at 7:30 pm local time. Demonstrators are expected to gather in Dherynia and march toward the crossing point. Cyprus National Police officers will be present.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area during the late afternoon and evening hours on October 17. All citizens should exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can become confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the situation and will send an update if new information arises.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Nicosia, Cyprus web page
+357 2239-3939 (after hours; wait for recorded message, then press 0)
- State Department – Consular Affairs Cyprus Country Information
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444.
Enroll in STEP to receive alerts: https://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter