Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Event: Health Alert
December 9, the Republic of Cyprus announced further measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The entire statement by the Minister of Health outlining the measures is available in English at: https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/uploads/9122020_YpYgeias_ENGLISH.pdf (PDF 357 KB). Beginning 06:00am on Friday, December 10 until at least December 31:
- A strict island-wide curfew remains in effect from 9:00 pm to 5:00 am. Exceptions exist for movement for emergency medical reasons and for employees who have a letter from their employer.
- Restaurants and food catering establishments are open only for delivery and take-away service. Malls will be closed and retail establishments will maintain strict limits on capacity.
- Until at least January 15, face coverings are required for everyone ages 12 and older in all public areas in the ROC.
Failure to follow the measures introduced by the Republic of Cyprus may result in a fine.
More detailed information is available on the Republic of Cyprus’ Coronavirus webpage and the U.S. Embassy Nicosia’s COVID-19 information page. Previous health alerts are also available on our website.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on latest conditions in Cyprus.
- Subscribe/unsubscribe to the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) for updates.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.