Event: Health Alert – Cyprus
The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the availability of flights from Cyprus. If you are urgently trying to return to the United States, please contact CyprusUSCitizen@state.gov (further instructions below).
Republic of Cyprus
The latest guidelines on movement restrictions and exemptions in the Republic of Cyprus can be downloaded here: https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/en/pdf/formsms.pdf
Official English language text of the instructions regarding travel permission paperwork and the SMS system are available at: https://covid19.cy/index_en.html
Area Administered by Turkish Cypriots (“Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”)
The updated rules and regulations in relation to COVID-19 measures is available here:
In case commercial transportation options are not available, the Embassy is compiling a list of American citizens seeking to leave Cyprus. If you are interested in being included on that list, please enroll in STEP as well as provide your name and contact information to our email address: CyprusUScitizen@state.gov so we can contact you as soon as we have any updates.
Your email message should include the following information:
1) Your full name as spelled in your passport.
2) Information we can use to contact you now – a current phone number and email address.
3) Your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY).
4) Your passport number, and its date of issuance and expiration. If it is not a U.S. passport, please note the country that issued it. Please also note any non-U.S. citizen immediate family members traveling with you.
5) Please note your current location (city).
6) Note any special needs you may have, such as medical issues.
U.S. citizens with questions or concerns regarding passport validity or expiry should email ACSNicosia@state.gov.
U.S. Citizens seeking to return to the United States should follow DHS and CDC guidance:
As of March 16, 2020, U.S. Embassy Nicosia has suspended non-emergency U.S. citizen and visa services. U.S. citizens in Cyprus who require assistance should contact the Embassy using the contact information at the end of this Health Alert.
Read the full text of the Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel.
At present the Department of State is making every effort to assist U.S. citizens overseas who wish to return to the United States. As the Covid-19 situation develops, our ability to provide such assistance working with commercial airlines or arranging for evacuation flights may become more limited or even unavailable. In recent weeks, commercial airlines have significantly reduced flight schedules and countries have closed airports and borders with little advance notice. If you wish to return to the United States, you should make arrangements to do so now and contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance as needed. There is no guarantee that the Department of State will be able to continue to provide repatriation assistance and transportation options to the United States may be unavailable in the future. If you choose to remain overseas, you should be prepared to remain where you are for the foreseeable future.
U.S. citizens with questions or concerns regarding passport validity or expiry should email: ACSNicosia@state.gov.
Updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is that all international travelers should stay home for 14 days from the time they returned from international travel. Updated guidance is available on the CDC website here:
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of the authorities.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on latest conditions in Cyprus.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Work with your airline, travel provider, or hotel/lodging directly regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Nicosia, Cyprus web page
+357 2239-3939 (after hours; wait for recorded message, then press 0)
- State Department – Consular Affairs Cyprus Country Information
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter