Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Nicosia (April 15, 2020)
Event: Health Alert – Cyprus
Note: April 17 and 20 are Republic of Cyprus holidays and U.S. Embassy Nicosia will be closed on those dates.
The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the availability of flights from Cyprus. If you are urgently trying to return to the United States, please contact CyprusUSCitizen@state.gov
Republic of Cyprus
On April 8, the Republic of Cyprus announced an extension on its emergency measures to halt the spread of COVID-19 until at least April 30. The latest guidelines on movement restrictions and exemptions in the Republic of Cyprus can be downloaded here: https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/en/pdf/formsms.pdf
Official English language text of the instructions regarding travel permission paperwork and the SMS system are available at: https://www.moh.gov.cy/moh/moh.nsf/All/0D5A0919CACA4BF8C225851B003E098C
Area Administered by Turkish Cypriots (“Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”)
On April 9, the “Council of Ministers” announced extensions to their emergency declaration.
The English language text of the latest announcements from “TRNC” can be found here: https://mfa.gov.ct.tr/
Read the full text of the Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel.
At present the Department of State is making every effort to assist U.S. citizens overseas who wish to return to the United States. As the COVID-19 situation develops, our ability to provide such assistance working with airlines may become more limited or even unavailable. In recent weeks, commercial airlines have significantly reduced flight schedules and countries have closed airports and borders with little advance notice. If you wish to return to the United States, you should make arrangements to do so now and contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance as needed. There is no guarantee that the Department of State will be able to continue to provide repatriation assistance and transportation options to the United States may be unavailable in the future. If you choose to remain overseas, you should be prepared to remain where you are for the foreseeable future.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of the authorities.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for informationon latest conditions in Cyprus.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Work with your airline, travel provider, or hotel/lodging directly regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Nicosia, Cyprus web page
+357 2239-3939 (after hours; wait for recorded message, then press 0)
- State Department – Consular Affairs Cyprus Country Information
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter