Event: Health Alert – Cyprus
The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the availability of flights from Cyprus. If you are urgently trying to return to the United States, please contact CyprusUSCitizen@state.gov
Republic of Cyprus
On April 8, the Republic of Cyprus announced an extension on its emergency measures to halt the spread of COVID-19 until at least April 30. The latest guidelines on movement restrictions and exemptions in the Republic of Cyprus can be downloaded here: https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/en/pdf/formsms.pdf
Official English language text of the instructions regarding travel permission paperwork and the SMS system are available at: https://covid19.cy/index_en.html
Note: If using a foreign mobile phone number, call the automated Confirmation of Movement Call Center at +357 22 263 030.
Area Administered by Turkish Cypriots (“Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”)
On April 9, the “Council of Ministers” announced extensions to their emergency declaration. Until at least April 17, 2020:
- A general curfew is in effect from 21:00 to 06:00.
- Travel between regions is forbidden.
- Individuals may only leave their residences to seek goods and services from essential personnel and businesses.
- Private sector businesses except those which provide basic needs such as groceries, bakeries, gas stations, pharmacies, etc., will be closed.
- Pharmacy hours will be from 08:00 to 13:30, on-call pharmacies will be open until 01:30. Customers will be allowed inside in groups of three.
Until at least April 30, 2020:
- All public sector employees except for the police force, fire department, health, civil aviation, finance and similar services will be under administrative leave.
- All cinemas, theaters, and public meetings are banned.
- All schools will remain closed.
- The entry of all foreign nationals besides “TRNC citizens” and spouses and children of “TRNC citizens” through all land, sea, and airports is suspended.
The English language text of the latest announcements from “TRNC” can be found here:
Read the full text of the Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel.
At present the Department of State is making every effort to assist U.S. citizens overseas who wish to return to the United States. As the COVID-19 situation develops, our ability to provide such assistance working with airlines may become more limited or even unavailable. In recent weeks, commercial airlines have significantly reduced flight schedules and countries have closed airports and borders with little advance notice. If you wish to return to the United States, you should make arrangements to do so now and contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance as needed. There is no guarantee that the Department of State will be able to continue to provide repatriation assistance and transportation options to the United States may be unavailable in the future. If you choose to remain overseas, you should be prepared to remain where you are for the foreseeable future.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of the authorities.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on latest conditions in Cyprus.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Work with your airline, travel provider, or hotel/lodging directly regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.