Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Nicosia (March 16. 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high.
As of March 16, 2020, U.S. Embassy Nicosia has suspended non-emergency U.S. citizen and visa services. U.S. citizens in Cyprus who require assistance should contact the Embassy using the contact information at the end of this Health Alert.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post worldwide of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19. Visit the Department of State’s webpage for more information.
On March 15, the government of the Republic of Cyprus (ROC) determined that the country is facing a state of emergency and implemented measures to address the continued outbreak of COVID-19. Visit the webpage of the Republic of Cyprus Press Office for up-to-date information regarding these measures.
The state of emergency is scheduled to begin March 16, at 6:00 a.m. and last until at least April 30, 2020.
- All businesses will be closed during this time except for supermarkets, pharmacies, private health services, bakeries, kiosks, and gas stations under certain conditions. Hotels will suspend operations with no new guests allowed and six days for all guests to depart.
- U.S. citizens who do not have legal residency, work, or study status in Cyprus will not be permitted to enter the country. All travelers arriving at airports in Cyprus, regardless of nationality, will be required to provide a valid medical certificate from an accredited medical office attesting that they do not have COVID-19 and will be subject to a 14 day isolation. Visit the webpage of the Republic of Cyprus Press Office for more details on these requirements.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions of the authorities.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on latest conditions in Cyprus.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Work with your airline, travel provider, or hotel/lodging directly regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S
- U.S. Embassy Nicosia, CyprusU.S. Embassy Nicosia web page
+357 2239-3939 (after hours; wait for recorded message, then press 0)
- State Department – Consular Affairs Cyprus Country Information
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter