Event: Health Alert – Updates to Measures to Mitigate the Spread of COVID-19
Both the Republic of Cyprus and the area administered by Turkish Cypriots (“Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”) have implemented measures to address the continued outbreak of COVID-19.
Republic of Cyprus
The government announced that on May 4 it will begin Phase 1 of the easing of restrictions that have been imposed to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
Phase 1 easing measures include:
- Retail businesses may resume operation and open-air markets may reopen on May 4.
- The public sector will reopen on May 4.
- Classes for high school seniors (only) will resume on May 11.
- Restrictions in public and private hospitals will be gradually lifted.
- Starting May 4, the authorities will issue up to three SMS permits for movements per person per day.
- A general curfew will be in place between 22:00 and 06:00 daily.
- As of May 4, prayer will be allowed in places of worship in groups of no more than 10. Other religious services remain prohibited until June 1.
- Personal exercise will be allowed in open spaces in groups of two. Underage children are exempted.
The Republic of Cyprus’ COVID-19 information website is: https://www.covid19.cy/
Guidelines for Citizens (English version) can be found by clicking here.
The latest guidelines and instructions on movement restrictions and exemptions can be downloaded here: https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/en/pdf/formsms.pdf
Area Administered by Turkish Cypriots (“Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”)
On April 22, the “Council of Ministers” announced that beginning Friday, April 24, masks will be required of anyone outside during the month of Ramadan. Group worship during Ramadan is forbidden.
On April 29, the “Council of Ministers” announced enhancements to their previous emergency declarations. From May 4 until at least May 15:
- A general curfew remains in effect from 21:00 to 06:00.
- Everyone outside during business hours is required to wear a mask.
- Travel between regions is permitted.
- Individuals may only leave their residences to seek goods and services from essential personnel and businesses.
- Private sector businesses except those which provide basic needs such as groceries, bakeries, gas stations, pharmacies, etc., will be closed.
- Pharmacies and banks will resume normal working hours.
- Public sector employees will return to work with certain restrictions.
- All cinemas, theaters, picnic areas, parks, and public meetings remain closed.
- All schools will remain closed.
- The entry of all foreign nationals besides “TRNC citizens” and spouses and children of “TRNC citizens” through all land, sea, and airports remains suspended.
The English language text of the latest announcements from “TRNC” can be found here: https://mfa.gov.ct.tr/
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on latest conditions in Cyprus.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Work with your airline, travel provider, or hotel/lodging directly regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Nicosia, Cyprus web page
+357 2239-3939 (after hours; wait for recorded message, then press 0)
- State Department – Consular Affairs Cyprus Country Information
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter