An official website of the United States government

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) – Form W-7


An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is assigned by the Internal Revenue Service to individuals involved in a transaction which may be a taxable event in the United States, who are ineligible to receive a U.S. Social Security Number. It is not valid for personal identification, does not entitle the individual to work in the U.S. or to receive U.S. Social Security benefits.


U.S. Embassies and Consulates are able to certify copies of foreign passports in relation to ITIN applications, but only for non-resident aliens applying for ITINs for the purpose of claiming tax treaty benefits (i.e. those applicants who are ticking “a” and “h” on the W-7 form). If you are applying for an ITIN for any other purpose, you will need to submit original documents, or apply from within the United States using an IRS ITIN Acceptance Agent. For further clarification, refer to the information on the IRS’s website.


Certifying your passport through the Embassy

These instructions are for applicants submitting their request for a certified copy of their passport by the U.S. Embassy to support their application for an ITIN (Form W-7). The applicant must schedule an appointment for Notarial Services and bring the following items to our office.

  • Completed Form W-7: Application for an ITIN 
  • Current passport and one clear photocopy of their passport (Note: we cannot certify any other identity documents, such as drivers licenses)
  • Applicable fee (found on the fee page under the heading of Certification)

Applications are only accepted in person.



Copies of documents are required.

Make clear copies of each supporting document to leave as part of an application. Copies should not be certified/notarized. Applicants who do not provide photocopies will be charged US $1.00 per photocopy.