An official website of the United States government



To marry in Cyprus, U.S. citizens and other foreign nationals must apply personally for a marriage license at the Office of Marriages in the municipality where they intend to marry.

While there are no specific residency requirements for foreign nationals wishing to marry in Cyprus, there is typically a fifteen-day waiting period. It is possible to avoid this delay by applying to the Minister of the Interior for a special marriage license allowing the marriage to take place in three days.

The following documents are usually required:
  1. A valid passport which may be presented as proof of identity, age and nationality;
  2. Proof of termination of any previous marriages* (see 1a)
  3. Proof that you are single; confirmation by the competent authority of the foreign nationals’ country that he or she is legally free to marry.


  1. a) U.S. citizens that plan to get married to an EU national in Cyprus or plan to reside in Cyprus after their marriage, should note that national authorities may request a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage, attesting that they are single and free to marry, issued by the Vital Records Office in the state you are residing in and certified by an apostille. To secure an apostille, we strongly recommend U.S. citizens contact The Office of the Secretary in the state where the document was issued (or another relevant authority) prior to coming to the Republic of Cyprus. The document must be obtained no more than 90 days prior to the marriage and the U.S. Embassy does not issue these documents. Many U.S. states do not issue this type of certificate.  In such cases we recommend you request from your state authority a letter that states the certificate is not issued there, and then have the letter certified by an apostille.
  2. b) U.S. citizens that plan to get married to a non-EU citizen and do not intend to reside in Cyprus can obtain an affidavit of marriage from the U.S. Embassy Nicosia. In most cases, local municipalities usually accept the affidavit of marriage issued at the Embassy Nicosia.
  3. If you are under the age of eighteen and not widowed, written consent of the father (or mother if the father is dead, or legal guardian if both parents are dead) is required.
  4. Municipalities usually request a U.S. birth certificate certified by an apostille. This can only be obtained in the U.S.


We strongly recommend that you contact the Municipality in the town where you intend to marry for the necessary documents before making plans to travel to Cyprus.


Nicosia Town Hall: Tel: +357-22-797000, Fax: +357-22-663363 or
E-mail: municipality@nicosiamunicipality.org.cy: / Website: www.nicosia.org.cy 

Limassol Town Hall: Tel: +357-25-884300, Fax: +357-25-365497
E-Mail: limassol.municipal@cytanet.com.cy / Website: www.limassolmunicipal.com.cy 

Larnaca Town Hall: Tel: +357-24-653333, Fax: +357-24-653384
E-mail: municipality@larnaka.com / Website: www.larnaka.com 

Ayia Napa Town Hall: Tel: +357-23-816300, Fax: +357-23-722607
E-mail: info@agianapa.org.cy / Website: www.agianapa.org.cy 

Paphos Town Hall: Tel: +357-26-822270, Fax: +357-26-934762
E-mail: town.hall@pafos.org.cy / Website: www.pafos.org.cy 


Please note: For those who wish to have a religious ceremony, we advise having the civil ceremony in addition to the church wedding, particularly if one partner is a non-U.S. citizen and will be applying for an immigrant visa after the marriage.