Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
U.S. citizens are advised of possible demonstrations taking place July 15 through July 20. A strong police presence is expected. All citizens should avoid or use extra caution around the following areas:
- Downtown Nicosia: Ledra Street crossing at Eleftherias Square.
- Agios Dometios Checkpoint.
- Deryneia area and Deryneia crossing in Famagusta.
- Presidential Palace: On July 18 at 17:30 hours.
U.S. citizens should exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can become confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the situation and will send an update if new information arises.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Nicosia, Cyprus web page
- +357 2239-3939 (after hours; wait for recorded message, then press 0)
- Email: ACSNicosia@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs Cyprus Country Information
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444.
- Enroll in STEP to receive alerts (or unsubscribe): https://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter