An official website of the United States government

Form DS-11: Passports for Applicants Under 16 Years of Age

The following instructions apply to all U.S. passport applications for a child under the age of 16 – regardless of whether they have been previously issued a U.S. passport.

First time applicants under the age of 16 born outside of the U.S. must first establish their claim to U.S. nationality before a U.S. passport will be issued. Please refer to our information regarding how to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).



Please print out only one-sided pages of the application and submit all of the following in person at the U.S. Embassy.

  1. Applicant
    The minor child (applicant) must be present.
  2. Application form
    Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport;
  3. Photo
    One (1) U.S. sized passport photo 
  4. Citizenship
    Child’s most recent U.S. passport; if the child has never held a U.S. passport, documentary evidence of U.S. citizenship must be provided.
  5. Birth Certificate
    The child’s original Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) or full birth certificate, showing the names of the parents who will be signing their child’s passport application
  6. Parental Consent
    The consent of both parents for the issuance of their child’s passport (see information below regarding parental consent)
  7. Fee
    Applicable fee 
  8. Envelope
    One self-addressed envelope A4 size with postage stamps of €2.52 for each applicant for the return of your passport(s).


U.S. passport regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians before a U.S. passport will be issued to a minor child (unless certain circumstances apply).  Options do exist if only one parent is available to sign the passport application form.

Both parents attending the passport interview.

Both parents appear with their child at the Embassy, they submit current photo ID and sign their child’s passport application in the presence of a consular officer.

One parent attending the passport interview.

The second parent can express their consent to the issuance of a passport by completing Form DS-3053 : Consent (PDF 42 KB), and having it notarized by a Public Notary. The completed DS-3053 and copy of the ID presented at the time the consent form was notarized must be submitted at the interview.
There are a few points to note about completing the Consent form:

  • Be sure to use the U.S. date format (mm/dd/yyyy), or spell out the month (eg: 1-Jan-2019)
  • The consenting parent must name the applying parent in Section 4
  • The notary must record the details of the ID that the parent presents when signing the form in section 5 (notary’s registration number)
  • The notarized form must be less than three months old to be accepted.
One parent has sole legal custody.

If only parent is attending the passport interview, but that parent has sole legal custody of the minor child, they must submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

  • minor’s original U.S. or foreign birth certificate, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad listing only the applying parent;
  • court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order);
  • adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent);
  • judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or,
  • death certificate of non-applying parent
Unable to obtain the consent of one parent.

If only one parent is attending the passport interview, and cannot obtain the consent of the second parent for a reason other than what is already addressed above, they must:

  • Submit Form DS-5525  (PDF 42 KB): Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances stating why the non-applying parent/guardian’s consent cannot be obtained. The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent’s or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent.
  • The applying parent should also provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document his/her claim of exigent or special circumstances.
In Loco Parentis.

A Third Party is applying on behalf of a minor child must:

  • Submit a notarized statement or affidavit from both parents/guardians.
  • The statement must name/authorize a third-party to apply for a passport for their child, and consent to the issuance of a passport to their child.
  • When the statement of affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.




Copies of documents are required.

Make clear copies of each supporting document to leave as part of an application. Copies should not be certified/notarized. Applicants who do not provide photocopies will be charged US $1.00 per photocopy.


The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy – this requirement cannot be waived. All applicants must be present at the appointment, including minor child applicants under the age of 16.

Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.