An official website of the United States government

Relinquishment of U.S. Citizenship

Relinquishment of U.S. citizenship by performing certain potentially expatriating acts, including taking the oath of renunciation of U.S. citizenship abroad, voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship, cannot be exercised by a third party on another person’s behalf. For example, a person’s parent(s) or legal guardian may not take the oath for renunciation for that person. A Certificate of Loss of Nationality (CLN) approved by the Department of State is the final agency determination of loss of U.S. nationality.


Note: The steps below provide instructions for requesting a CLN based on taking an oath of renunciation under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) Section 349(a)(5), 8 USC 1481(a)(5).


For information on the parallel process to request a CLN by performing another potentially expatriating act under INA 349(a)(1)-(4), 8 USC 1481(a)(1)-(4), please read and/or contact the U.S. Embassy.


Oath of Renunciation of U.S. Nationality

U.S. Embassies processes requests to take the oath of renunciation of U.S. citizenship. Minors, individuals who do not read or write English, individuals with mental health/cognitive disability or impairment and/or who have a guardian and those for whom loss of U.S. nationality would result in statelessness, are invited to contact the U.S. Embassy directly to discuss taking the oath of renunciation.


1. Review the legal requirements and consequences/ramifications of taking the oath of renunciation of U.S. citizenship (INA 349(a)(5)). If you would like to request a CLN based on INA 349(a)(1)-(4), please contact U.S. Consulate General serving your area.

Please read the information available online at the U.S. Department of State and Internal Revenue Service websites (links below) regarding the legal requirements for and consequences of taking the oath of renunciation. Loss of U.S. nationality is irrevocable, and you should fully understand the consequences and ramifications before beginning this process.

For questions related to possible U.S. tax implications, please contact the Internal Revenue Service. You may also wish to review the Joint Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) FAQ.

For questions related to Social Security Administration (SSA) or other federal benefits, please contact the SSA and/or your nearest Federal Benefits Unit.

Department of State and Internal Revenue Service links:

2. Please gather all the required documents below:
  • Original U.S. birth certificate (issued by your state of birth), or Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), or Original Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship
  • Original most recent U.S. Passport
  • Original most recent valid foreign passport(s) or government-issued photo ID– If you possess multiple nationalities, bring a passport or government-issued photo ID for all nationalities
  • Original proof of any name change (marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree, etc.), if applicable
  • Completed DS-4080 : Oath/Affirmation of Renunciation of Nationality of United States. Please complete but do NOT sign form DS-4080, you will sign in front of a consular officer.
  • Completed DS-4081 : Statement of Understanding Concerning the Consequences and Ramifications of Relinquishment or Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship Please complete but do NOT sign form DS-4081, you will sign in front of a consular officer.



To initiate the process and receive further instructions, please scan, and submit copies of the required documents to the U.S. Embassy Nicosia at ACSNicosia@state.gov
In the body of your email, with the above documents attached, please also include your:
  • Last Name
  • First Name
  • Middle Name(s)
  • Any other Name(s) used
  • Date and Place of birth (Month/Day/Year + City/State, if applicable/Country)
  • Telephone number

You will receive a confirmation email with further instructions (within 10-15 business days). 



Immediately prior to taking the oath of renunciation, you must pay the non-refundable fee of $2,350 USD for administrative processing of a request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality (cash or credit cards accepted). The fee is not waivable, and it is not refundable solely if/because the Department of State denies the request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.

Please make the necessary arrangements with your bank as payments of this size often require pre-approval. Learn more about payments on our Service Fees page.


How many interviews are there?

There is a first interview, which some posts may conduct electronically or by phone when possible. A second, in-person interview will take place at the U.S. Consulate at the time of your appointment.

Can the fee be waived?

The current U.S. consular services fee for “Administrative Processing of Request for Certificate of Loss of Nationality” is $2,350. It cannot be waived. See 22 CFR 22.1.

Where can I find more information on FATCA?

Please visit the IRS website and/or see the joint Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) frequently asked questions on the Department of State’s website.

How long will it take?

Your completed package to request a CLN will be sent to the U.S. Department of State for final determination. The Department of State will review each request for a CLN to determine whether there is a legal basis to approve it. This process may take several months or more. The embassy or consulate may contact you for further information before the Department of State decides your case. The embassy or consulate will email you if and when your request has been approved. If your request is denied, the embassy will send you an email attaching a denial letter.

If your request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States under INA 349(a)(5) is approved, your Certificate of Loss of Nationality will reflect the effective date of expatriation as the date on which you took the Oath/Affirmation of Renunciation.

What happens to my U.S. Citizenship document(s)?

Pending approval of your application, you remain a U.S. citizen. Your U.S. birth certificate (if applicable) will be returned to you on the day of your application. However, your U.S. passport (if applicable) and other proof of U.S. citizenship (Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship, as applicable) will be retained by the U.S. Consulate while awaiting approval.

If your request is approved, your original Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship (if any) will not be returned to you but will be forwarded to the Department of Homeland Security when the Certificate of Loss of Nationality is issued. Your U.S. passport (if applicable) will be canceled, annotated, and returned to you. The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (if applicable) will be annotated and returned to you.

May I travel to the USA while I am waiting for my CLN?

Travel to the United States before final approval of the Certificate of Loss of Nationality (CLN) is generally possible. If you have urgent travel/transit to/in the United States before the Department has approved and issued or denied your request for a CLN, please contact us.