An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment

Operating Status During COVID-19 Crisis

U.S. Citizen Services will be accepted by appointment only. We do not allow electronic equipment in our waiting room. Bringing electronics (cell phone, laptop,tablets) will substantially delay your entry. Please leave these devices at home or in your car.


Hand signing documentThe Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Nicosia provides notarial services to all U.S. citizens and to foreign nationals for documents intended for use in the United States. Notarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only.

Consular officers perform notary services for documents, including statements made under oath, powers of attorney, affidavits, bills of sale, deeds, etc. Normally the document to be notarized is for use within the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you have multiple documents to be notarized, you should only make one appointment.

To have a document notarized, you must come in person with a valid passport or identification card and the document. The fee may be paid by credit card, USD or Euro equivalent. You will pay $50 USD, at the Embassy or Consulate on your day of appointment, for each notary seal required.

On the day of your appointment, you must:

      • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
      • Present a valid government-issued ID such as a passport or driver’s license. The name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
      • Pay $50 USD per notary seal.
      • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
      • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents.

The American Embassy does not:

      • Authenticate U.S. state-issued documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, or divorce decrees.
      • Certify true copies of U.S. academic credentials, college transcripts, diplomas, or similar documents.
      • Provide or act as a witness.  All applicants are responsible for bringing their own witnesses if the document requires.

Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

DS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF, 345K), please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.Scales, Seal, Pen

Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public. This POA must contain specific data fields; see a sample.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

At the Direct Request of a U.S. Municipal, State or Federal Entity

At the Direct Request of a Foreign Government

To request certified copies of U.S. vital records (birth, marriage, or death certificates) please visit: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/index.htm.

Since the United States and Cyprus are parties to the Hague “Apostille” Convention, authentication of all public documents issued in one country must be apostilled there to be accepted as authentic in the other. Information on how to obtain a Hague apostille on public documents issued in the United States is available at the US Department of State, Legal Considerations website. The U.S. Department of State only issues apostilles for federal documents to use in countries that are members of the Hague Convention.

NOTE: For any public documents issued in Cyprus that will be used in the United States, an apostille can be obtained at the Ministry of Justice and Public Order of the Republic of Cyprus.

E-mail us at: ACSNicosia@state.gov

Check out these recommendations for you