Civil Marriage in Cyprus
The following information is provided by the American Embassy in Nicosia for U.S. citizens wishing to marry in Cyprus.
To marry in Cyprus, U.S. citizens and other foreign nationals must apply personally for a marriage license at the office of the municipality (mayor’s office) where they intend to marry.
While there are no specific residency requirements for foreign nationals wishing to marry in Cyprus, there is a fifteen-day waiting period but it is possible to avoid this delay by applying to the Minister of the Interior for special marriage license allowing them to marry in three days.
The following documents are required:
- A valid passport which may be presented as proof of identity, age and nationality;
- Proof that they are single;
- Proof of termination of any previous marriages;
- Confirmation by the competent authority of the foreign nationals’ country that he or she is legally free to marry.
Important Note: If you plan to get married in Cyprus, national authorities may request a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage, attesting that you are single and free to marry, issued by an official in the United States and certified by an apostille. The United States, at the federal level, and many individual states do not issue this type of certificate. National Cypriot authorities will not accept an affidavit in which the participants attest that they are free to marry. U.S. citizens facing this issue should contact the U.S. Embassy in Nicosia, for further assistance.
- Written consent of the father (or mother if the father is dead, or legal guardian if both parents are dead) for either party of the intended marriage who is under the age of eighteen and not widowed.
For further information you can contact the Municipality in the town where you intend to marry.
For those who wish to have a religious ceremony, we strongly advise them to have the civil ceremony in addition to the church wedding, particularly if one partner is a non-U.S. citizen and who will be applying for an immigrant visa after the marriage.