Returning to the United States on an Expired U.S. Passport
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021. See this page for more information.
Adult U.S. Passport Application Requirements:
Note : All applicants coming into the Embassy must have scheduled appointments. To schedule an appointment please click here.
- Completed, legible, and signed application form DS-82
- If you are applying for your first adult passport, or your passport was issued more than 15 years ago please complete form DS-11
- Your most recent U.S. passport or the original birth certificate or naturalization certificate
- A black & white copy of your biographic/signature pages (the page with the photo and signature).
- If applicable: Evidence of any Change of Name since your previous passport– e.g. Marriage Certificate, Statutory Declaration or Court Order.
- A passport photo (see requirements listed below)
- A self-addressed envelope with postage stamps (see requirements listed below)
U.S. citizens with verifiable emergency situations and confirmed tickets with travel within 72 hours may contact us at ACSNicosia@state.gov to request consideration for an emergency passport. This document is valid for one year.
Delivery by Cyprus Post Required
The U.S. Embassy is unable to provide routine pick-up of new passports at the Embassy. You must bring a stamped (€2.50) self-addressed envelope to your appointment in order to receive your new passport via Cyprus Post. One envelope should be provided per applicant. If you are also receiving a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), your envelope should be A4 size.
Social Security Number Requirement
You must include your Social Security number on your passport application. Your application will not be processed until you provide your Social Security number or provide a signed statement that you have never been issued one. For further information regarding this requirement, please refer to travel.state.gov.
For information on how to apply for a Social Security number please write to FBU.Athens@ssa.gov.